in conjunction with
The 3rd International Summer School on Numerical Linear Algebra
The 10th Shanghai Summer School on Analysis and
Numerics in Modern Sciences
Matrix functions and matrix equations are widely used in science, engineering and the social sciences, due to the succinct and insightful way they allow problems to be formulated and solutions to be expressed. Applications range from exponential integrators for the solution of partial differential equations to model reduction of dynamical systems. The 2013 Gene Golub SIAM Summer School (G2S3) will introduce students to underlying theory, algorithms and applications of matrix functions and matrix equations, and relevant linear solvers and eigenvalue computations.
G2S3 will take place in Fudan University, Shanghai, China, July 22 to August 2, 2013. An extra week of activities from August 5 to August 9, 2013 is planned for interested students.
The summer school will be composed of three mini-courses:
- Functions of matrices and exponential integrators
- Matrix equations and model reduction
- High performance linear solvers and eigenvalue computations
The primary lecturers for these courses will be
- Peter Benner, Max Planck Institute, Magdeburg, Germany
- Nicholas Higham, University of Manchester, United Kingdom
- Marlis Hochbruck, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany
- Ren-Cang Li, University of Texas, Arlington, USA
- Xiaoye (Sherry) Li, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, USA
We invite graduate students (working toward a M.Sc. or PhD or equivalent) from all countries and from any field that requires results and methods from numerical linear algebra to apply.
Applicants selected to participate pay no registration fee.
All local expenses for accommodation and meals will be covered and
limited funding for travel may also be available.
The application deadline: 11:59pm (Hawaii Time), February 1, 2013
For the up to date information, including travel and local information, please visit http://math.fudan.edu.cn/g2s3
Contact email address: summerschool AT fudan.edu.cn